Monday, February 13, 2012

Don't Go Against Your Process

This is a fairly new concept I'm embracing, but I'm proud that I recognize it. It's come at such a wonderful time, too. A good friend of mine is struggling with achieving something cuz he's attempting to take an analytical approach when he's a creative soul. I see him battling internal conflicts the way I have where he criticizes himself and says that he needs to be productive. If he's going to do something, it should be to build his business rather than something small and creative like getting an easel to paint, draw, or some form of creative pursuit.

He's so busy trying to be productive, analytical, and logical that he's failing to realize the way I have for so many years that being logical isn't always practical. I hate that so many of us begin to doubt ourselves and worry we don't have what it takes cuz there's no progress occurring. No progress is occurring cuz we're using a method that doesn't work for us. It's not us; it's the method! And it's evident cuz this isn't an isolated incident, but that's not something we'd know since we're too busy looking at our own perceived inadequacies and failures. I hope he'll realize, truly realize the error in his thoughts and embrace his creative identity. There's nothing wrong with it.

I struggle with the opposite challenge. There's a creative blockage on my end. I'm unable to begin a project cuz I don't know where it'll lead, but I'll only reach my destination by beginning and seeing where it takes me. We don't always have a map. Sometimes we create it along the way. I spent so much time looking at art journal inspiration that I didn't know how to get started on my own. I'm only now beginning to realize how disconnected I am cuz I've both neglected and rejected creativity. The last thing I want to see in this world is creativity dying in a sufoccating world of "logic". Without creativity, logic will also bury itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment