Friday, March 26, 2010

Allergy Attack, Day 87

It wasn't long ago that the sky was a bleak gray. Something about the color and tone of that weather felt like death or the absence of life. But the silence becomes a memory as it rains so heavily that it feels like it'll beat a person down. As spring comes to bloom and the sun greets me, I'm expecting to embrace what I refer to as "skirt season." It's when I kick off my lifeless jeans and sweats. I turn to my flirty tops and tulip skirts.

The sky is a clear blue, the sun is shining bright, the air is crisp, and the weather is just warm but not too much. You'd think I'd enjoy it. But instead I sneeze throughout the night and the constant jerking motion wakes my body up. I don't even bother trying to go to sleep; it takes too much effort and with each sneeze, I grow more and more frustrated.

I wait until my body becomes too tired and inevitably gets to a stage where I'll collapse no matter where I am or what I'm doing. That usually rolls around at 5 or 6 am just as the darkness lifts and you know morning's approaching. What an inconvenient time to get sleepy. As my body gets heavy and my eyes continue drool white goop, my runny nose starts to dry uncomfortably, and my itchy sore throat is a sensation that dulls as the sleepiness becomes a more dominant feeling.

In a couple of hours when it's bright out and my sleep is disrupted by the footsteps of my roommates, my eyes are closed shut by the crust that formed along my eyelids. Sexy, right? How do you think I feel? It's been this way for almost two weeks now. I'm disoriented. I feel sluggish. I feel ripped off that I can't enjoy the weather with everyone else.

Since allergy attacks have kicked in this month, I know it'll be brutal as the season progresses. My eyes are already dark red. I'm going to try and fake it by wearing cute outfits. I'm going to my friend's birthday dinner tonight. Wish me anti-allergy thoughts!

No comments:

Post a Comment