Monday, February 6, 2012

To Feel is to be Human

I can't help but feel like I've already used that title before. If I have, I'm certain I was in a different state of mind. I was probably opening myself up to this reality as I was attempting to embrace it, but now feelings has become a part of me. And not in the way a resistant person buckles under the burden of it but in a way a child opens its arms to a world of possibilities. So much has changed. Of course, I have moments when I retreat. But my goal is to be open and receptive.

As I read through Barbara Sher's Live the Life you Love book, I find myself wanting to take a moment to really reflect on the section about Understanding Your Feelings. I came across this quote and am amazed by its accuracy. How did I not know this before? Had I have come across this information during my period of emotional estrangement, would I have become emotionally connected? Would it have opened my eyes to the world I was shadowing myself from? Would I have been able to understand it? I guess I'll never know.

"By starving emotions we become humorless, rigid, and stereotyped; by repressing them we become literal, reformatory and holier-than-thou; encouraged, they perfume life; discouraged, they poison it."

What a beautifully expressed reality! I've gone through every series listed here and am astounded by how true it is! Another point that really resonated in me is the section that explains how feelings make us intuitive. "When you know what you feel, you know what others are feeling, too. You don't have to be psychic, just in touch with your own feelings. Animals and babies react instinctively to the feelings of others, because they're emotionally wide open. When you're in touch with your own feelings you also have a sense of what's going on behind people's facades." All of this is true.

What an anomaly we humans are! Feelings are a part of us, and we shouldn't reject them. I feel like so many of us limit our own understanding of how we feel as a result of shortsighted and incomplete thoughts. We all do it. I recognize it in myself as I read the above statement. I would've never known that being emotionally connected would make me aware, receptive, and observant of the feelings of others. I used to think that was limited to the clairvoyant. But the truth is the more familiar we are with something, the better we understand it. Feelings are no exception. Quite the opposite.

I have nothing further to add at this moment, but I feel like this entry is incomplete. Just felt like sharing. FELT! See what I did there? LOL

No comments:

Post a Comment